Informing the Lincoln High community since 1895

The Advocate

The Advocate

The Advocate

Students let loose at neon-themed Homecoming Dance

The crowd reacts to Lydia Rathe (11) getting crowned Homecoming Princess at the dance on Friday, Sept. 1, 2017. Photo by Brianna Koch

By Daniel Do |Feature|

On September 1st, 2017, the night came and was lit up again…and no, it wasn’t the once in a lifetime astonishing American eclipse of 2017. It was Lincoln High’s annual Homecoming!

After an astouding victory for Lincoln High’s Varsity Football team against Pius X, with a score of 62-31, the night had only begun for Lincoln High students. Af- ter the game, everyone, including the student section, parents, Cheerleaders, Pomalinks, the Varsity Football team, and the entire school prepared for one of the most exhilarating nights of the school year.

Lincoln High’s Varsity Football team huddle together after an astounding Homecoming victory against Pius X on Friday, Sept. 2, 2017 with a score of 62-31. Photo by Sandra Montoya-Martinez.

This year’s annual Homecoming theme was “Neon”, a change from last year’s theme of “Red Car- pet Hollywood”. Thanks to Student Council’s advertising, Homecoming was really successful this year.

“Almost about 80 percent of the school population voted in the Homecoming Royalty polls,” said Theron Polivka, a member of Lincoln High’s Student Council. “I thought we worked really hard at advertising and decorating for Homecoming this year, and I thought it was a real success.”

The night started with students ooding into the South Gym getting ready to dance until the Homecom- ing Royalty was announced at 10:15 p.m.

“I really liked this year’s Homecoming dance and I thought it was really fun,” said Isaac Larson, a student who transferred to Southeast High School this year. “I’m also really glad we won the Homecoming game this year, too!”

By the end of the night, Homecoming Royalty had been announced with the winners being, fresh- men Katie Smith and Dat Nguyen; sophomores Naomi Rodriguez and Luke Moberly; juniors Lydia Rathe and Joshua Lopez; and seniors Jack Buchanan and Tessa Wiser.

The ninth grade Lord and Lady are Dat Nguyen and Katie Smith. Photo courtesy of Lincoln Digital Prints from Friday, Sept. 1, 2017.
The tenth grade the Duke and Duchess was Luke Moberly and Naomi Rodiguez. Photo courtesy of Daniel Do from Friday, Sept. 1, 2017.
The eleventh grade Prince and Princess was Joshua Lopez and Lydia Rathe. Photo courtesy of Lincoln Digital Prints from Friday, Sept. 1, 2017.
The twelfth grade King and Queen are Jack Buchanan and Tessa Wiser. Photo courtesy of Lincoln Digital Prints from Friday, Sept. 1, 2017.

With all the results in, and the night coming to a close, students really let loose as they danced to the nal songs of the night. By the end of the night, everyone was dancing and having a blast until it was time to leave.

“This year’s Homecoming was really awesome and fun,” said Naomi Rodriguez, the sophomore Duchess winner. “I’m really glad I won Homecoming Royalty this year, and had a lot of fun with all my friends here!”

“I really liked the music and seeing my friends in a new way with them dancing and having fun, instead of cramming for classes and constantly studying,” said Luke Moberly, the sophomore Duke winner. “This was my first Homecoming dance and I really enjoyed it!”

Dietrich Hitt, a senior nominee for Homecoming King, said, “Homecoming was a really nice breather and break from school. Now that we’ve gotten past the point where school is easier at the beginning of the year, school has really been a constant grind to get things done. But I really think that Homecoming was a nice refresher from all my IB class. Can’t wait to do more homework over the weekend!” Hitt said.

According to Niki Barnes, the Faculty Sponsor of the Lincoln High’s Student Council,

“We sold more tickets this year, and that’s probably due to the school population or enrollment going up, but hopefully the students really liked the dance this year,” Barnes said.

“Around 670 students purchased Homecoming tickets, which is really good for Student Council sales. I think that the Student Council did a great job, especially for it happening so quickly at the start of the year and for them to band together and make good decisions as a team.”

Currently, there are no ideas for next year’s Homecoming dance, “but I bet we’ll do an even better job next year,” Barnes added.