Hoops for Hope – a win for the Black Team, a win for all

Social+Studies+teacher+Jared+Shaw+drives+to+the+basket+for+the+Black+Team+during+the+Hoops+for+Hope+staff+basketball+game+in+the+Johnson+Gym+on+Thursday%2C+Nov.+2%2C+2017.+The+annual+event+is+a+Student+Council+fundraiser+for+the+Make-A-Wish+Foundation.+Photo+by+Carson+Allen.+

Photo by Carson Allen

Social Studies teacher Jared Shaw drives to the basket for the Black Team during the Hoops for Hope staff basketball game in the Johnson Gym on Thursday, Nov. 2, 2017. The annual event is a Student Council fundraiser for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Photo by Carson Allen.

Kahoot, the game everyone goes wild for in class, is also the name of wish-recipient Lily Lautenschlager’s dog.

Lautenschlager and her pup were the main event of the Hoops for Hope halftime show on Thursday, November 2nd, and the crowd loved them.

Lautenschlager was born with a rare syndrome called Klippel-Trenaunay, which affects her from the waist down. She is able to walk short distances, but she must rely on walls, tables, and friends for support. Lautenschlager no longer wanted to have to depend on these things, so she used her wish to get a service dog. With the help of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, her wish was granted, and she was given Kahoot.

The student section cheers on the players on November 2, 2017, the night of the Hoops for Hope game in the Johnson Gym on Thursday, November 2, 2017. The event is an annual fundraiser organized by Student Council for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Photo by Nate Kettler. 

Lincoln High parents and students were given the chance to be a part of something like this, not by granting wishes, but by raising money that gets donated to the foundation.

After the ticket sales, t-shirt orders, halftime donations, etc. are added up, the final amount of money that is hoped to be donated is around $3,000. The number is not yet exact, because there are still some calculations that need to take place, but the amount will be around that much, if not more. All proceeds will be donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. 

The game itself went into overtime after both teams ended with 55 points. In the end, the Black Team won BY a score of  63-56Junior, Taylor Beecham was the head of the Hoops for Hope committee, and said she thought the game as a whole was a highlight

There was great friendly competition between the Red Team and Black Team,” Beecham said.

Associate Principal Josh Lupher stretches before his game and an impromptu cheerleading performance at Hoops for Hope in the Johnson Gym on Thursday, November 2, 2017. The event is an annual fundraiser organized by Student Council for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Photo by Carson Allen.

“One of the best highlights though would have to be close to the end of the game when Associate Principal Josh Lupher started cheering his team on with the cheerleaders and did a toe-touch,” Beecham added. 

Along with Lily and Kahoot, the halftime show included an amazing performance from the Pomalinks and a half court shot competition.

One minute during halftime was designated to a fast paced money collection. Student Council members ran around with paper bags trying to collect as much change as they could from the crowd. 

The Black Team might have scored the most points, but that night everybody, including all the players, the crowd, and the Make-A-Wish Foundation won.