Culinary students step up to the plate

Sophomore+Ariana+Larson-+Pool+shows+her+finished+product+at+the+Culinary+competition+on+November+15%2C+2017.+Photo+Courtesy+of+Lovena+Glantz+

Sophomore Ariana Larson- Pool shows her finished product at the Culinary competition on November 15, 2017. Photo Courtesy of Lovena Glantz

By Porshe Miller – Feature –

The smell of food is something that can capture the attention of anyone. At Lincoln High School we have a team of advanced culinary students who not only prepare food, they compete against students from other schools and present them to judges.

Roman Pedroza (12) poses with his dessert during the LPS Culinary Conference on Wed. Nov 15, 2017. Photo courtesy of Lovena Glantz

At the 13th Annual LPS Culinary Conference on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 the students made an entrance and created some extravagant plates. Culinary teacher Lovena Glantz who teaches the advanced culinary students during the day said, “This was a high pressure day, and we brought the sauce!”

Hanan Smoqy (10) creates a dish to present to the judges at the LPS Culinary Conference on Wed., Nov. 15, 2017. Photo courtesy of Lovena Glantz

The students who participated in this competition were sophomores Ariana Larson-Pool, Hanan Smogy, Gabriella Menezes da Silva, Mackenzie Warden-Pierce; and seniors Roman Pedroza, Layla Klipic and Haley Salazar. All of these students participated in plate presentations while presenting them to peers, judges and Channel 8 News who also did interviewing and taping. Under all the pressure that was brought upon them they tried their hardest and had fun while doing it.

Ariana Larson-Pool took first place in the Tapas competition.

Glantz added, “Please give a hearty ‘woot’ to these kids if you see them around!”