The Advocate

Students from all over Lincoln attend IB Academy Day at Lincoln High

Back to Article
Back to Article

Possible future Pre-IB students gather at tables in the cafeteria in Lincoln High at IB Academy Day on October 27th, 2018. Advocate staff photo.

By Meg Boedeker | LHS News |

A couple weeks ago on Saturday, October 27th, 2018, students from all around the LPS school district congregated at Lincoln High to hear and learn more about the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program which Lincoln High hosts.

“The IB offers an education for students from age 3 to 19, comprising of four programmes that focus on teaching students to think critically and independently, and how to inquire with care and logic,” from the official International Baccalaureate website.

This rigor is a big part of why the IB Program is so popular within students of the high school age.

“Middle school was not as much of a challenge as I wanted it to be, and I wanted more difficult material. A lot of my friends were taking part in it as well, and that was another incentive,” said IB junior Kit Graf.

Possible incoming Pre-IB students fill the tables in the cafeteria in Lincoln High at IB Academy Day on October 27th, 2018. Advocate staff photo.

To allow incoming students to get an idea of what day-to-day classes look like for someone who’s a part of the IB program, IB Academy Day is held within the school from 8:00 am – 12:00.

“The day is to help students and parents see what IB is about and get a feel for the program,” said Laura Aten, a Pre-IB English teacher. “The day helps answer questions for them as well as give them a sense of what is studied in the program. For these prospective students, it starts to let them know if the program is the right fit for them.”

However, IB Academy Day isn’t all about the IB Program. This day also teaches possible incoming-students to LHS about the culture and the people within these walls.

“Academy day was a perfect opportunity to get introduced to both the IB Program and Lincoln High School at the same time. There were was a tour around the building were Lincoln High students showed a small group of middle school students around Lincoln High while answering our questions,” said Camila Gomez, an incoming Pre-IB student to Lincoln High. “Additionally, there were break out sessions in different classrooms explaining the curriculum and more general aspects of the program. The most helpful part of Academy day, in my opinion, was the student panels towards the end. I appreciated the honest answers and advice from students that have gone through/are going through the IB Program.”

Many different teachers from different parts of the IB and Pre-IB program were part of the happenings on this day.

Lincoln High alum and IB students perform a science experiment to students at IB Academy Day on October 27th, 2018. Advocate staff photo.

“My role in IB Academy Day was to lead a student session on what English will be like in 9th grade Pre-IB. I had about 15 students in two sessions,” said Aten. “We discussed the difference between English in middle school compared to high school. That included the work load independence, and analysis that goes on. I emphasized ho students are the generators of ideas and analysis in my classroom.”

The IB Program is filled with much mystery and many questions for much of the incoming students involved, as it is a much different school experience to anything they’ve had before.

“I think IB is great for many academic pursuits and opportunities, I think high school will drive me mad, and I think that Academy Day was the cause of my calm yet the culprit of my worries. All in all, I can’t wait [for high school],” said Gomez.

“While the IB Academy Day was to showcase the IB Program at LHS, there are many other days like this and many other awesome opportunities at LHS for students to find their place in high school,” said Aten. “I enjoy being part of the IB Program and love being a part of the excellence that is Lincoln High.”

About the Writer
Meg Boedeker, Managing Editor

Hello! I'm Meg Boedeker, a junior at LHS and the Managing Editor of The Advocate. I've been part of the staff for two years now, and I help to take pictures,...