LHS Student Council makes the most of Spirit Week

The week of September 18th, Lincoln High held Spirit Week put together by the Student Council and their Spirit Committee. 

Although Lincoln High School cancelled their Homecoming dance and the game on Friday, September 18th, which was hosted by Bellevue East, the Student Council was still allowed to plan themes for this year’s Spirit Week.

The student body had voted on their favored themes and the themes were announced on Links Live, Lincoln High’s daily broadcasted news, by Student Council President, Kataryna Morton. They were also announced on the Student Council’s instagram page.

They included Character day on Monday, Beach day on Tuesday, Links Pride day on Wednesday, Meme/Vine day on Thursday, and Tie Dye day on Friday. 

Student Council holds two Spirit Week committees for both A group and B group, and they each meet on their respective days. In each group, the committee came up with about 10 potential themes and included them in a google form for the students to vote for their favorites.

Morton said, “We tried to have the student body be more involved to try to satisfy everyone and have them vote on what they liked the best.” The google form brought forward ideas such as all of the chosen, plus Twin day, Western day, Camo day, and a few more. 

Morton also said,  “I hoped that [the student body] would be more willing to dress out, both in person and on zoom.” 

Student Council decided to plan the incorporation of spirit into the week, regardless of the Homecoming dance being cancelled. Junior Spirit Committee Member, Marisol Barron-Perez said, “The dance is cancelled but it doesn’t mean our spirit has to be.”

Due to the current Covid-19 protocols that LPS has put in place, Lincoln High was unable to host the annual dance. While it was “more of a challenge” for the Student Council to motivate the student body to put effort into the themes, they used multiple ways to spread the spirit beforehand.

Barron-Perez said, “Individually, we encouraged voting as much as we could in our classes and on social media.” With the official Student Council Instagram posting about the google form for voting, and many members utilizing their own accounts to spread the word, social media was used more this year to reach out to students. 

Student Council has been, and continues to, adapt to the changes in the most efficient way possible. Morton said, “We will be continuing spirit throughout the quarter, as well.” One priority is to stay connected to the students and make the most out of this year.