The Advocate

Faulty smoke detector empties building

Back to Article
Back to Article

Faulty smoke detector empties building

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

A malfunctioning smoke detector in the South Building was to blame for cutting students’ 5th period class short on Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017.

The fire alarms went off during passing period at approximately 10:39 a.m., which caught students already in the halls. The building was evacuated quickly. Fortunately, the temperature was in the low 50s, but the wind made some shiver.

Staff members knew it wasn’t a scheduled drill, and the administration never does a practice in between classes.

Students and staff evacuated the building on Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017 after a faulty smoke detector triggered the fire alarms.

Principal Mark Larson praised staff for their responsibility and professionalism in dealing with the fire alarm.

“I thought students responded very well, thanks to how the adults responded,” Larson said in an email to staff. Larson also sent a message home to parents about the alarm.

Firefighters appeared shortly after to inspect the building and ensure that there was no real danger. Students and staff remained outside for around half an hour until the all-clear was given by LFR.


Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.