The Advocate

Winter Weather Advisory brings chance of snow

NOAA+radar
NOAA radar

NOAA radar

NOAA radar

By Audrey Perry |LHS News|

There are only four days left until Christmas, and Lincoln has only seen few glimpses of snow. But today, Thursday December 21, 2017, Lincoln was issued a Winter Weather Advisory with a little chance of snow.

According to NOAA, Lincoln is expected to get a “little snow early  becoming breezy this afternoon with a little icy mix, and freezing rain.” Although this may seem like nothing to be excited about, it shows great improvement in the weather cycle over these last few months.

Since October 15, Lincoln has only had 0.08 inches of accumulation. This is partly due La Niña, a weather phenomenon where its effects do the opposite of El Niño. In this case, La Niña causes above level precipitation in the Northern Midwest and lower precipitation levels in the southern areas.

Lincoln is usually just in the position of receiving lower precipitation levels. Even so, Lincoln is gearing up for the wintry mix to come. Lincolnites woke up this morning to roads treated with salt brine in preparation for the little storm. We even may have some snow Christmas evening, too.

There’s still a small chance we will see a White Christmas.

About the Writer
Audrey Perry, Operations Editor

Hello! My name is Audrey Perry and I am a pre-IB sophomore at Lincoln High. It is my second year with The Advocate and I am currently one of the editors on staff. I am involved in Momentum Show Choir, Pomalinks, Cross Country, Dance, Young Democrats, and Cribbage Club. I aspire to study political science, journalism, and/or pre-law at Georgetown. I enjoy excessive amounts of coffee, watching old musicals, and rainy weather!