Informing the Lincoln High community since 1895

The Advocate

The Advocate

The Advocate

Homecoming Dance Lights Up the Night

Students dance the night away at this year’s Homecoming Dance in the South Gym on Friday, Sept. 9, 2011. The theme for this year’s Homecoming was “Light Up the Night.”

By Sammi Yelkin

The line outside of the South Building kept increasing in size as students of Lincoln High got in line, patiently waiting to dance the night away. At the front door students had to show their IDs to prove that they were Lincoln High students, and then once inside, the night began.

Before Homecoming even started there was a debate about whether or not the lights should be on during the dance. In past years inappropriate dancing and grinding has caused some problems. If the lights were on it would ruin this year’s Homecoming theme, “Light Up the Night.” Glow sticks and neon decorations wouldn’t have worked as well in full lighting.

The decision made by Student Council this year was to dim the lights. It was still not dark enough for some teens’ liking, but it didn’t keep students from having fun.

The dance was held in South Gym and right outside of the gym people could get their picture taken with their friends or their dates. While some people were dancing others hung out in the hallway talking or even messing around with balloons like little kids at a birthday party.

At the beginning of the dance, Ground Zero, showed off their moves while the others formed a circle around the crew to watch. Homecoming Royalty was announced near the end of the dance. This year’s winners were:
King and Queen: Savannah Smith and Denison Salisbury
Prince and Princess: Bryce Tyler and Abi Paudel
Duke and Duchess: Jesse Snider and Rachel Kingston
Lord and Lady: Jason Towery and Mikaela Sparr

Seniors Denison Salisbury and Savannah Smith are crowned Homecoming King and Queen at the Homecoming Dance in the South Gym on Friday, Sept. 9, 2011.

In the end people left with memories of the 2011 Homecoming and the freshman left with the memories of their first Homecoming. The memories could have been good or bad. Who knows? But, most students left with big smiles on their faces and an aching pain in their feet.