Lincoln High staff member arrested, charged with sexual assault

By Sara Balter -LHS NEWS-

On Thursday, December 14, 2017, Marcus Perry, the LHS Varsity Girls Basketball head coach and in-school suspension technician, was arrested following allegations of sexual assault in the first degree involving Perry and an LHS student.

The Lincoln Police Department began its investigation on Friday, Dec. 8, when they were contacted by a counselor who was first informed of the incident. Perry remained in school under suspicion and administrative supervision until the following Tuesday when he was placed on paid administrative leave and prohibited from having access to all Lincoln Public Schools properties according to LHS administrators.

Perry was then charged on Monday, Dec. 18 with first-degree sexual assault and intentional child abuse. If convicted of both charges, he could face a maximum of 53 years in prison.

“After a potential problem was first reported, we immediately notified Lincoln Police and cooperated with police as they conducted their investigation,’ Principal Mark Larson stated in an email to all parents and staff.  

LPS Superintendent Dr. Steve Joel speaks at a press conference on December 14, 2017 about an alleged sexual assault against a student by a staff member at Lincoln High. LHS Varsity Girls Basketball coach and In-School Suspension technician Marcus Perry was arrested on Dec. 14, 2017 and charged with two felony counts. Photo courtesy of LPS

On Thursday, Dec.14, superintendent Dr. Steve Joel held a press conference open to the Lincoln media to explain the current situation and answer questions about the alleged incident. .

During the conference Joel stated that how strongly he felt about the importance of reporting suspicious behaviors.

“If you or someone you know is made uncomfortable in any way by an adult action or behavior at or away from school please report your concerns,” Joel said during the press conference. “This can be a difficult but brave action that can help others who might be facing a similar situation.”

LHS students and staff were informed about the events involving Perry on the 14th as well. A crisis team was available for those who needed it, and a meeting was held for the girls basketball team.

Larson asked that everyone honor and respect the privacy of those involved and let the legal system work.

“This is an ongoing investigation as Lincoln Police and LPS continue looking into this matter,” Larson said. “Our highest priority is creating a safe environment for all our students at Lincoln High and Lincoln Public Schools.”

It was determined that assistant coach Richard Jackson will remain as a replacement head coach for the rest of the 2017-2018 school year.