Deb Coffey

We are Lincoln High

Deb+Coffey.%0A%0APhoto+by+Angel+Tran+and+Meg+Boedeker.+

Deb Coffey. Photo by Angel Tran and Meg Boedeker.

By Emily Price

A myriad of the most essential personnel at Lincoln High School go unnoticed–Deb Coffey, a member of the custo- dial staff, is one of these people. When first approached for an interview, Coffey was hesitant.

“I really don’t want to do this,” she said. “This is gonna be boring.”

Coffey, in her own words, is a “home-grown Lincoln brat.” She was born and raised in Lincoln, Nebraska, and graduated from Northeast High School in 1975.

“Now that I’m at Lincoln High, I cheer for the Links,” Cof- fey said. “When Northeast and Lincoln High play, ya know, I’m kinda on the fence,” she added with a laugh.

During high school, Coffey’s plan was to become a nurse.

“Things just didn’t work out,” she said. After she gradu- ated, Coffey then went on to work for various factories and plants from age 17 to 51. After her most recent plant of employment closed, Coffey joined the custodial team at Lincoln High. April 2019 will be her 10th year working at LHS.

“I like seeing kids come in freshman year and seeing them go all the way through to their senior year,” Coffey said. “I like to see how everyone has grown, both physically

and emotionally.” She plans on working at Lincoln High until her retirement.

“I’ll be here forever. You’ll probably find me in the halls.”

Coffey isn’t the first member of her family to be in the halls of Lincoln High. Her father graduated from LHS in 1934, and was swimming manager for the champion season that year.

“Everyday when I go in the hall, I go and look up at that picture and say, ‘Hi Dad.’” Coffey said. “Plus, when I walk on second floor through the offices, I can go, ‘My dad walked these halls.’”

Coffey’s advice to students at Lincoln High? “Just to enjoy life,” she said. “Try to be as positive as you can, even when times are bad. If you want respect, you got to give respect,” she said.

Coffey continued, “Don’t try to grow up too fast. I al- ways used to say, ya know, ‘I can’t wait to get older.’ And now time goes by so fast. The nine years that I’ve been here now zip through.”

She ended our talk by saying, “I just wish everybody a bright future.”

Next time you see someone in the hall that you may not know, remember that everyone has a story.