LinksLIVE! The LHS News Broadcast 4/17/2020 *Coronavirus Edition #7*

Season 1: Episode 131
Friday, April 17, 2020

Good morning Lincoln High. Welcome to LinksLIVE! The Lincoln High morning news show.

How’s everybody doing? Hope you’re all well. Thanks for joining us.

I’m Cate Frederick keeping you updated on the latest news about school and the coronavirus situation.

A reminder that links to updates with all official LPS information are also available on the lps home page at lps.org
IT’S MUSIC FRIDAY! Here’s a playlist that was submitted by Haley Fisher. Give these a listen today, and enjoy. Remember to send us your suggestions for next week by emailing us at linkslive@lps.org
[Submitted by Haley Fisher
Carry Out- Timbaland
Bottoms Up- Trey Songz
Monster-Skillet
LBD-Becky G
Where My Girls At-720
They Don’t Care About Us-Michael Jackson
Look Back at It-A Boogie Wit da Hoodie]

Hope you’re enjoying your Snow Day today! It’s another good reason to stay inside.

On today’s show we have some information about LPS video lessons, Special Education services, Chromebook Tech Support, CLC opportunities, and Food Distribution as well as some more video messages from LHS staff!

LPS is partnering with local television station KLKN to provide access to PreK through Grade Five early childhood and elementary remote learning videos families who do not have internet or cable television. These are the same videos that are airing on LNKTV Education and lps.org.

Any family with a VHF or UHF antenna will be able to view video lessons on KLKN-TV channel 8.3 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Families can follow the steps listed below in the transcript to view the lessons or visit the LPS website at LPS.org

[Tune TV or converter box to channel 8.3
Place the indoor antenna as high as possible on a west facing wall or window
More information can be found on antennaweb.org
The complete schedule can be found on our website: https://bigfile.lps.org/remote/tv-schedule/index.html]

Here’s a Special Education Update.
Your child’s case manager should have reached out to you last week. If you have not heard from him or her, please email your child’s building principal or coordinator. Thank you for your continued collaboration.

If you need any counseling or Social and Emotional Supports, you can contact someone at LPS by emailing someone listed on the contacts page which is linked at LPS.ORG. There is also a link below in the transcript: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k09U8wP2v1wB_H6CmvMvq44cTHs86lY69FYzQlcMJ3Q/edit#gid=0
School social workers and other school staff may not be able to immediately answer an email or a message but will work to respond within 24 hours of any message received between 8:00 AM and 3:30 PM Monday through Friday. Emails or messages received overnight or on the weekend will be answered the next week day. If you need immediate assistance we encourage you to access the following resources that are available any time of the day or night. See the transcript below for more information. PLEASE NOTE: If you have an emergency, contact 911.

Links to services and contacts.
LPS Updates: lps.org/covid19
CenterPointe Help Line (Lincoln): 402-475-6695
Nebraska Family Helpline: 1-888-866-8660
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
National Crisis Text Line: Text START to 741741
(text charges from your phone carrier may apply)
Lincoln Police Department (non-emergency) 402-441-6000
or 911 (emergency)

MyLNK is a website (https://mylnk.app) and a mobile app (for Apple and Android – search MyLNK) that has information about community resources. It can be downloaded in a wi-fi environment and then used when wi-fi is not available. The website provides translations in Spanish Vietnamese, and Arabic.

Food distribution
Just a reminder that weekly meals distribution is Mondays from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for any child ages 1-18 at the following locations:

Belmont, Arnold, Calvert, Hartley, Huntington, Clinton, Saratoga, and West Lincoln Elementary Schools:
Culler and Park Middle Schools
and at Northeast High School and at Lincoln High School where you’ll enter the circle on 21st and J Streets and follow staff directions.

For more information about the locations and directions on the drive-thrus, go to our website lps.org and enter keyword “food.”

From the Food Bank of Lincoln
Any family is welcome to pick up pre-packaged bags of food from the Lincoln Food Bank during their food distribution. More information about their schedule can be found at their website: LincolnFoodBank.org

The Lincoln Community Learning Centers value the importance of engaging our youth in fun and enriching “afterschool” opportunities. We recognize that these are very unusual times, and we believe that we can best serve our youth and families by providing online resources and ideas for activities that can be done at home. We will continue to add to this list of opportunities on the LPS website, so check back frequently!

A Reminder about Chromebook Tech Support:
If you are experiencing problems with your Lincoln Public Schools student Chromebook, please contact our Help Desk Monday through Friday between the hours of 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Call 402-436-1735 and be ready with your student identification number, or go to help.lps.org and enter your student login information.

For the health and safety of our families and staff, we will no longer be taking walk-ins at the LPS District Office for Chromebook repairs. You must call the Help Desk at 402-436-1735 and schedule an appointment first.

And now here are some messages from LHS staff!

And here’s a message from Chelsea Egenberger and the CLC.

C: Hello LINKS, Chelsea Egenberger here from the LHS CLC!

E: And this is Erin Voichoski with the Northeast high school CLC!

C: Several of our clubs are officially back online this week:

E: We have virtual Zoom meetings for Life After High School, Untold Migrant Stories, Yezidi Program, El Centro, and Stand in for Lincoln happening this week!

C: For more information, check out our Google Classroom with class code 666wuph. The classroom also has tons of great resources like the ones listed here!

E: In addition, please join Chelsea and I for our CLC office hours if you have any questions, feedback, or just want to chat! We are available via Zoom every day from 2-3pm.

C:We also have put together a fun one page document that includes all the information about how to access the High School CLC classroom, online groups, and includes 10 fun virtual learning resources that we will update each week!

E: We look forward to seeing you on zoom!

Remember that you can leave a comment below this video at any time for us. We want your feedback. You can also tell us your story of how you’re coping with all of this by filling out the form at Jump Code PBYZ. That’s PBYZ

Do you have good news to share? Questions? Comments? You can also reach out to us at linkslive@lps.org, or message us on The Advocate Twitter and Instagram accounts: @lhsadvocate or on the Yearbook Instagram: @linksyearbook. We want to hear from you.

In the meantime, please follow CDC guidelines and STAY HOME as much as possible and Stay Away From Others in Public, Wash Your Hands, Don’t Touch Your Face, and Cover Your Cough.

Take care, keep supporting each other, and stay connected with us.

That’s all for today. Remember that you can see all past episodes of our show on The Advocate Online website at LHSAdvocate.com and a list of all jump codes through the master jump code YZYR.

Thanks for watching our broadcast, and we’ll see you again next time on… LinksLIVE!