LinksLIVE! The LHS News Broadcast 5/15/2020 *Coronavirus Edition #15*

Season 1: Episode 139
Friday, May 15, 2020

Good morning Lincoln High. Welcome to LinksLIVE! The Lincoln High morning news show.

How’s everybody doing? Hope you’re all well. Thanks for joining us.

I’m Mr. Keller filling in for the regular anchors who are busy trying to finish up 4th quarter work before Monday, and keeping you updated on the latest news about school and the coronavirus situation.

A reminder that links to updates with all official LPS information are also available on the lps home page at lps.org
On today’s show we have some information about NHS Officers, StuCo Officers, 2nd semester grades, Senior Google Drive backups, Summer School, Graduation Speech Tryouts, CLC Opportunities, Senior T-shirt contest, Food Distribution, and MORE!

A great big congratulations to the newly elected officers of the LHS National Honor Society chapter! Here are the officers:
Evada Palmer, President;
Hailey Olberding, Vice-President,
Jack Amen, Secretary;
Audrey Perry, Treasurer;
Zahra Hasnawi, Parliamentarian; and
Maria Garcia Castorena, Historian.

Congratulations to these newly elected officers and thank you to all the NHS members of the class of 2021 for participating and for running as candidates! Stay healthy and have a great summer from Mr. West

Also, Congratulations to our newly elected Student Council officers for the next school year!
President: Kataryna Morton (11)
Vice President: Riek Bol (10)
And Secretary: Marlana Saalfeld – Green (9) 

Our current but soon to be outgoing officers deserve a round of applause for their perseverance during this unusual semester.
President: Juliana Quattrocchi
Vice President: Holly Hoang
Secretary: Alaa Ismail 

Thanks to Student Council for all that you do for LHS.

Here’s some important information about GRADES:

Semester 2 Grades
THIS Friday, May 15th (That’s TODAY) is the last day for teachers to assign any new fourth quarter remote learning material.

THIS Monday, May 18th, will be the last day for students to turn in work for fourth quarter.

Check to make sure you have everything ready over the weekend, and reach out to your teachers if you have any questions.

THIRD quarter make-up work will be accepted through Friday, May 22nd.

Final grades will be posted by 4 p.m. on Friday, May 22nd, and that’s the end of the school year!

Students will receive an S or a U for their second semester grade (this includes third quarter). An S is 60% and above, and a U is 59% and below.
*Courses graded by Pass/Fail (S or U) are NOT included in the calculation of your GPA.

If you would like to have your third quarter grade letter grade entered as your semester grade instead of an S or U, you need to fill out the form BEFORE Wednesday, May 20th. See the link below in the transcript, and talk to your counselor if you have questions.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSem91u3GvsklStE6kdcr7oOFUP3GIZqCAgedLEgduQGo4RY8Q/viewform

[Summer High School Course Registration]
Just a reminder that Summer School registration is open for all students. Remember that high school summer school classes are FREE to any student (public or private) in grades 9-12 that currently resides within the LPS boundary.
More information can be found on the summer school website: home.lps.org/summerschool
If you have any questions about this process, please contact your school counselor.

SENIORS! LISTEN UP.
Your Google Classroom and Google Drive accounts will be
deactivated and deleted at the end of the year!
Be sure to back up all of info by midnight on June 1st.
All of your files will be gone on June 2nd.

Here’s a message from Chelsea Egenberger and the CLC.”Hello Links! Chelsea here from the LHS CLC!

Join us today, Friday May 15th, for a virtual dance party at 2pm. We will have everything from pop tunes to soul groves.

You can also catch us again next Thursday, the last day of school, for a virtual connection circle followed by virtual gaming together!

You can find the links to these zoom meetings through our Civic NE HS CLC google classroom at classcode: 666wuph

We will also continue to offer programming through the LHS CLC and online Civic U virtual hub! You can stay up to date with what we are doing by following us online at https://www.civicnebraska.org/virtualhub/

I want to congratulate each student, staff, and family member for wrapping up our school year. While we didn’t get to finish the school year together in-person, we are all still connected as links! Stay safe and healthy this summer. We can’t wait to see you all again!

Attention Creative Links!
The Yearbook staff is working on this year’s Senior T-shirt design, and they want your help. If you have an idea for a slogan or a design for the LHS Class of 2020 T-shirt, submit your ideas by MONDAY, MAY 18TH through the jump code: PLY3
Or email them your ideas to lhsyearbook@lps.org. More details about sales will be coming next week once we have a design. If they choose your design, you’ll get a FREE T-SHIRT. Again, the jump code is PLY3. Submit your ideas NOW!

“Graduation Speech Tryouts are Wednesday, May 20th. Students should sign up on the Google Form at Jump Code: YGOB to show interest by Monday, May 18th at 3:15. Zoom meeting info will be sent to those who signed up on Tuesday the 19th. Speeches should be about 3 minutes in length and if chosen will be recorded for a ceremony in July. Four speakers will be chosen. More information is available in the Grad Speech Info document. Further questions should be emailed to Mrs. Aten at: lgapp@lps.org See links to information below in the transcript.

[More info document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ShdlZPs4pGYWLoVEniBhKrKmZz4CQVUJ2lM9_WW-HHs/edit

Form to sign up
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lcpl3WBJ3PhndkthYrW6sZ0O4xA1axmeDrujLNw2gk0/edit]

For information about Grab-N-Go Meals, click on the Food Distribution link at lps.org, or type the word “food” in the keyword search. [https://home.lps.org/covid-19/food-distribution/]

Weekly food distribution is Mondays from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for any child ages 1-18 at the following locations:
Belmont, Arnold, Calvert, Hartley, Huntington, Clinton, Saratoga, and West Lincoln
Elementary Schools:
Culler, Park, Goodrich, and Lefler Middle Schools,
and at Northeast High School and Lincoln High where you’ll enter the circle on 21st and J Streets and follow staff directions.

Any family is also welcome to pick up pre-packaged bags of food from the Lincoln Food Bank during their food distribution. More information about their schedule can be found at their website: LincolnFoodBank.org

Remember that you can leave a comment below this video at any time for us. We want your feedback. You can also tell us your story of how you’re coping with all of this by filling out the form at Jump Code PBYZ. That’s PBYZ

Do you have good news to share? Questions? Comments? You can also reach out to us at linkslive@lps.org, or message us on The Advocate Twitter and Instagram accounts: @lhsadvocate or on the Yearbook Instagram: @linksyearbook. We want to hear from you.

In the meantime, please follow CDC guidelines and STAY HOME as much as possible and Stay Away From Others in Public, Wash Your Hands, Don’t Touch Your Face, and Cover Your Cough.

Take care, keep supporting each other, and stay connected with us.

That’s all for today. Remember that you can see all past episodes of our show on The Advocate Online website at LHSAdvocate.com and a list of all jump codes through the master jump code YZYR.

Thanks for watching our broadcast, and we’ll see you again next time on… LinksLIVE!