Bathroom fire leads to early dismissal


LHS students and staff wait outside while firefighters investigate, image taken by Sergio K. Zavala

Lincoln High students were dismissed early yesterday due to an unexpected fire in the building. 

During the latter half of 6th period, around 1:40 pm, students and staff evacuated the building due to a trashcan fire in the south building men’s restroom.

A small fire was found in the bathroom and LHS staff extinguished it immediately, but due to the lingering fumes, students were not permitted to go back into that part of the building. Around 2:10 students were dismissed for the day.

Many students left their belongings in classrooms. Around 2:15 students were let back into the building to grab their belongings with the exception of classes on the first floor of the south building.

After school activities were still held in other areas of the building, including Football and Theatre. After school clubs were canceled.

LHS is working with Lincoln Police, Lincoln Fire and Rescue, LPS Student Services and LPS Security and Threat Assessment to investigate the fire and students involved.