LHS Swimmer Colleen Arnold brings home Spirit Award

Senior Coleen Arnold receives the Carmel Sheppard Spirit Award during the Varsity Boys Basketball game on January 17th, 2019. Picture by Angel Tran

By Neive Rodriguez

Although many Lincoln High students are skilled athletes, not all are able to keep a positive attitude on and off the field. Varsity letters exist to recognize and reward athletic skill, but awards for spirit are given out far less often.

The Carmel Sheppard Spirit Award recognizes female high school athletes with excellent athletic and academic achievements, a positive attitude, and competitive spirit. This year, Lincoln High senior Colleen Arnold was nominated by Assistant Swimming Coach Sharrill Luedtke and brought home the award.

“Colleen always has the Lincoln High Swim team as her top priority. She motivates the other ladies on the team to be there best and is a unifying force,” Luedtke said. “If someone is struggling she is the first to provide support both in and out of the water. Her positive attitude is always present and she is always the first to cheer on her teammates.”

Arnold is currently a three-sport varsity athlete in cross country, swimming, and track. She has participated in these three sports every year of high school.

“The things I’m most proud of I’ve done in swimming,” Arnold said. “I had a really good season and medaled in state and set two records.” At the 2018 State Swim Meet Arnold’s 200 Free Relay broke an over 30-year LHS record, placing 6th. Arnold was also a member of the 4×800 relay at the 2018 State Track Meet.

Senior Colleen Arnold receives a rose from Assistant Coach Sharill Luedtke on Senior Night at the Swimming and Diving meet at LHS on Jan. 29, 2019. Photo by Zeke Williams

Although Arnold says swim team is her favorite, it hasn’t been easy.

“In swimming it was really hard getting over the bump,” Arnold said. “When you’re learning something and then you kind of plateau, and then you’re kind of sitting at the same spot for a year. It’s really hard to get past that. But it’s ok to do poorly sometimes.”

Along with athletic achievement, Arnold also maintains a weighted 4.35 GPA, and attends Zoo School.

“Colleen’s competitive spirit is gentle, positive, and always directed to make herself and her team better,” Luedtke said. “She has excelled in both athletics and academics, and exemplifies what a true multi-sport student/athlete is and should be.”