The Advocate

Slam Poetry Team wins first competition of the season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Slam Poetry Team members win their first bout of the season at the UNL Student Union Auditorium on Sunday, March 24, 2019. Photo courtesy of Deborah McGinn

By Neive Rodriguez

This past Sunday, March 24th, marked a victory for the Lincoln High Slam Poetry Team, who received first place at the Louder Than A Bomb: Great Plains Tournament.

The tournament took place at the UNL Student Union Auditorium at 4 p.m. Lincoln High competed against North Platte, Southwest and North Star.

The Slam Poetry Team held tryouts in January and selected 10 members. This tournament was their first of the season.

Members who competed this Sunday were Carter Yost, Maddie Grives, Erica Leon, Samantha Roblyer, Grace Langan, Joanna Calel, and Jasmine Amaya. 

“(The poets) were fully memorized and gave their full heart,” said Coach Deborah McGinn. “We can all share the tradition, diversity, unity, and excellence of these young writers.”

The next slam poetry bout is April 1st at the University of Nebraska Omaha.

Here is a link to a video of a humorous piece featuring senior Grace Langan, junior Joanna Calel, junior Jasmine Amaya, and senior Carter Yost.

Other members of this year’s team include sophomore Zahria Johnson, junior Nyia Mitchell, and senior Helen Newell.

Team alternates are sophomore Sophia Delaney, freshman Conleigh Hemmer, freshman Dustin Stevison, and juniorAlex Vodraska   

About the Writer
Neive Rodriguez, Reporter

Hi, my name is Neive Rodriguez and I’m a pre-IB sophomore at Lincoln High. This is my first year working on The Advocate. I participate in cross country,...