OPINION: My Opinion About the New Bill in Florida

After finding out about the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill and the bills coming along with it, I feel that this bill is unfair. It is unfair because learning the information is important for students trying to figure out their identity.

The first thing that bothers me about the bill is the age range. The bill states that it would ban the teaching or providing of “any curriculum or instructional materials on sexual orientation or gender identity to students grade 4 through 12.” I have an issue with that because during that time students are learning who they are and who they want to be. I understand some people believe that it’s not important but it is. It is important to talk about sexuality freely because people are who they are and it’s helpful to mental health. I believe that talking about this is important because maybe some students don’t understand who they want to be and how to understand who they are.

The educational part of learning about sexuality is very important. Bob Iger said about the bill “It’s about right and wrong,” he added. “To me, it wasn’t politics. It was what is right and what is wrong, and that just seemed wrong. It seemed potentially harmful to kids.” and I agree with what he said. It can be harmful to not let people learn or talk about their sexuality because it can help them understand the things people go through with their sexuality.  Celebrating sexuality helps people see that people are behind them and believe in them.

What we need to do instead is let students learn about the subject. Also we need to let students be who they are. This whole situation is very weird because what does it matter what your sexuality is. You can’t judge people or stop them because of their sexuality.