Lincoln High students celebrated for hard work, effort

Photo by Ainsley Frederick

As students move into the Johnson Gym on Friday, November 3, 2017 for a surprise “Excellence Celebration,” Principal Mark Larson addresses their remarkable effort that got them to this point. Photo by Ainsley Frederick.

Jacob Vanderford-|Feature|

Last Friday, the students and faculty of Lincoln High School gathered together in the Earl Johnson Gym to celebrate something very special, something that Links pride themselves upon: excellence.

This first-ever Excellence Celebration was a chance for the staff of Lincoln High to congratulate and recognize the hard work that the students have been putting in to achieve greatness. It was a chance for the students to feel proud of the work and effort they give each and every day.

However, this was a well kept secret by the staff and a surprise to the students when they heard the news that they would be participating in a fun, party like atmosphere and, the best part, a chance to get out of class for 40 minutes.

First of all, in order to even go to a party, you’ve got to be invited, right? When students entered their 8th period classrooms on Friday, they were solely excited for the weekend, not even knowing what was in store for them.

Teachers came out with gold sheets of paper and passed them out to each student in the classroom who indeed followed the criteria embedded within them.

In order to receive a “golden ticket,” one must have grades above a C and also maintain a constant rate of presence throughout the school year thus far. I, for one, was certainly confused about what these tickets might be used for. The students of Lincoln High were definitely in for a surprise.

Students enter the Johnson Gym on November 3rd, 2017 not knowing that they are about to participate in an Excellence Celebration. Photo by Ainsley Frederick.

“It was so fun,” IB Counselor Jodie Green said, “When everybody came down to the basketball court and had no idea what it was all about, just the smiles on everyone’s faces really said it all, I loved it.”

At the entrance of the Johnson Gym, dozens upon dozens flocked in through the doors as calls of excitement filled the air. Students were given pieces of candy, because Halloween had just ended that Tuesday, and music was piped up as the acknowledgement of accomplishment ran through the crowd.

Later that period, principal Mark Larson led the Cupid Shuffle, as students lined up left and right, flourishing at the chance to show their spirit and dance during the school day.

Students take part in the Cupid Shuffle led by staff and faculty members on Friday, November 3, 2017, showing school spirit and celebrating their effort given so far this semester. Photo by Ainsley Frederick.

“The whole basketball court was filled with teachers and students doing the Cupid Shuffle,” Green said. “It was awesome just to see everybody in a room at one time recognizing the good hard work. It was a great experience for us and I hope the kids loved it, too.”