23 former Links inducted in the LHS Athletic Hall of Fame

Lateaf King, William Hudson, Annette Hudson, Kenneth Hudson. Image taken by Sergio K. Zavala

On September 1, 23 former students were inducted in the LHS Athletic Hall of Fame. Additionally, LHS awarded the Hudson/King family the Family recognition award.

The Lincoln High School Athletic Hall of Fame was established in 1983, to recognize and permanently record some of the exceptional achievements of LHS athletes. The former Links were inducted for exceptional performance and achievements as LHS athletes. All of them from different backgrounds and areas of performance.

The Hudson/King family were recognized for their contribution to the athletic community during and after their years as LHS students; eight of their family members have been inducted into the hall.

Hudson/King Family at the podium of the banquet inside the Lincoln Station. Image taken by Sergio K. Zavala.

The Hudson/King family members expressed deep gratitude towards the Lincoln High School Athletic Hall of fame, as their family has still been taken into consideration many years after their graduation and their original induction into the hall.

Previously known as the special recognition award, the LHS Athletic Hall of Fame Board of Directors voted to rename it the “Jim Sommers Special Recognition Award”, to honor one of the founders of the hall, and his lifetime of contributions to Lincoln High, its athletes, and its rich and proud tradition.

Jim Sommers. Image provided by Julie Trembley.

When asked “what stands out in your mind about Jim Sommers and why he’s receiving this recognition,” Sam Sharpe, member of the Hall’s board of directors said, “How much work he does in the background without recognition.”

The banquet to celebrate these former Links returned after a two-year pause due to covid-19; it was held at the Lincoln Station located in the center of the Historical Haymarket.

The 23 inductees included:

• Stephanie Aden
  • Ryan Blahak
  • Dean Boling
  • Erin Brestel
  • Dick Bryers
  • Irving Chapin
  • Richard (Fuller) Furst
  • Stan Gerlach
  • Derrick Hull
  • Don Lorenz
  • Kelsie MacMeeken
  • Matt Oberding

Visitors leave the Lincoln Station. Image taken by Sergio K. Zavala.
  • Jerrod Phillip
  • Becky Polivka
  • Richard Russell
  • Stan Schneider
  • Mark Steer
  • Bob Stern
  • Greg (Jo Jo) Styles
  • Charlie Valencia
  • Lee Wagner
  • Jim Waters
  • Amy Weisbrook