Informing the Lincoln High community since 1895

The Advocate

The Advocate

The Advocate

LHS Staff Black Team wins Hoops for Hope 52-47

LHS Staff Black Team coach Demarius Lott (12) is raised on the shoulders of extatic fans Friday night, Nov. 11, 2011 after his team wins the Hoops for Hope staff basketball tournament in the Johnson Gym. The event raised money for three charities: Santa Cop, Toys for Tots, and the Friendship Home.

Despite a last minute series of three-pointers by English teacher and soon-to-be interim associate principal Mark Larson, the LHS Staff Red Team couldn’t take the lead back from the consistently strong Black Team Friday night, Nov. 11, 2011, at the Lincoln High “Hoops for Hope” tournament in the Johnson Gym.

The 52-47 score came down to some key free throws in the final few minutes. Both teams traded the lead throughout the game, but a strong finish by the Black team in the 2nd half sealed the victory.

The game, which pitted LHS staff members against each other in a battle of skills and strategy, raised money for three charities: Santa Cop, Toys for Tots, and the Friendship Home.

With ticket sales and donations totaling $2,001, each charity will receive $667, according to Social Studies Department Chair Becky McLaughlin, who organized the event.

The idea for the fundraiser came from students in McLaughlin’s History of the Holocaust class who had been talking about how children were impacted by the Holocaust.

“About 1.5 million kids were killed in the Holocaust and then many many many more, their lives were changed forever – they lost their families, they had to move, and they didn’t really have a childhood,” McLaughlin said in an interview with  Advocate reporter senior A.K. Khalaf.

The class wanted to find a way to honor them and do something good. “So we came up with this idea to raise money for charities that help children,” McLaughlin explained.

Boys L Club helped by supplying coaches and refs, there were also staff cheerleaders for both teams, and Ground Zero performed at halftime. The stands on both sides of the court were full of cheering fans and staff members.

Students cheering for the LHS Staff Black Team chant, “Drive home safely!” to the students cheering the Red Team in the last minutes of the Hoops for Hope staff basketball tournament on Friday, Nov. 11, 2011 in the Johnson Gym.
LHS Staff Black Team member Ben Keown sinks a free throw late in the 2nd half to pull ahead of the Red Team

“I’m really thankful to the staff  for how they’ve stepped up and are excited and willing to play,” McLaughlin said. “The students in my class have really been impressive with how much work they’ve put in and their excitement and getting their friends excited.”

The LHS Staff Black Team, coached by seniors Demarius Lott, Garret Chelton, and Sayvon Miller consisted of: Jarrell Green, Wally Mason, Isau Metes, Ben Keown, Amy Cariotto, Jess Carlson, Genee Handley, Michelle Sjuts, and Dan Noble.

The LHS Staff Red Team, coached by seniors John Harris, Taylor Samek and Shaka Chol, consisted of: Russ Uhing, Steve Ward, Katie Speicher, John Heineman, Lindsey Herting, Will Smith, Mark Larson, Justin Holbein, and Mr. Noble’s student teacher Nick Mattson.

LHS Staff Red Team member Mark Larson sinks a 3-pointer to rally his team in the second half of the Hoops for Hope game on Friday, Nov. 11, 2011 in the Johnson Gym.

Team Rosters:
RED Team

Russ “Ironman” Uhing-  His enthusiasm for the game is unmatched- he once broke his own arm to motivate his players.  This motivation must have worked because he is also known as the last coach to win a state basketball championship for LHS.

John “IB Hoopin” Heineman– Still as good as he was in high school at basketball and he’s not sure if that’s a good thing.  If the first half doesn’t go so well, he’ll be organizing a musical with the other players on the bench that will be performed after the game.

Rod “The Smoke” Droud–  He was on the basketball team for three years in high school but never played and was known as a defensive specialist because he could stop elderly men at any time. After averaging 18 turnovers per game, he decided to become a member of the first ever all-male Cheerleading squad.

Justin “J-HO” Holbein– At 6’ 2”, 210 lbs, playing Power forward,  he was the 1989 Defensive MVP in the Southwest Conference, and winner of the rebounding title 3 years running in the University of Nebraska Intramural basketball league.  Master of the “Cheapshot,” he’s accused of playing “dirty” but he says it‘s just playing hard.

Steve “The Warden” Ward– When he’s not rockin’ out, he’s working on his game and could be known as Steve “The Secret Weapon” Ward.

Katie “The Spike” Speicher– New to LHS but not to basketball she’s ready to show the other team what four years on the Marion b-ball team will teach you.

Lindsey “The Hurt Locker” Herting– She shot 6 3-pointers in a row at practice so don’t let her size fool you…she can bring the pain.

Will “The Fresh Prince” Smith–  He wasn’t born and raised in West Philadelphia but has to hear about it every day.

Mark “Pretty Boy” Larson-  He’s a teacher, he’s a reading coach, he’s an administrator…We’re not sure what his job is but we know he does it in style.

Assistant Coaches:  Shaka Chol  and Taylor Samek

Head Coach: John Harris

BLACK Team

Jarrell “The Truth” Green-  An Army veteran and all around good guy who thinks practice is for sissies.

Wally “The Science Guy” Mason- On a usual Friday night, he would be trying out new science experiments but decided to come out of the lab to help the kids.

Isau “Little Thunder” Metes-  This tough mama is 5 ft nothing, and a former Link that went to state twice…in DRAMA. Now she’s ready to take on a new persona on the basketball court…

Ben “Mr. Pibb” Keown- Won his last game of HORSE and can fix a computer like no other.

Jess “The Enforcer” Carlson- Known for fashionably enforcing LHS law, her heels can be heard throughout the hallways.  Rumor has it that even in heels she can outrun “Ironman” Uhing.

Genee “Honey Badger” Handley– The last time she played basketball was during her freshman year of high school.  That year she scored one goal, and it was for the other team. When her WNBA career didn’t work out, she decided to become a biology teacher and she now puts the “G” in Biology.

Michelle “The Rock” Sjuts-  Even though she wishes this was a volleyball game, she decided her athletic prowess could translate to the basketball court.  She’s not afraid of the attention on the court because she deals with it every day….she’s married to a celebrity.

Dan “The Man” Noble- He lost to John Harris in a one on one game and still got to keep his job as head basketball coach.

Nick “Mad Dog” Madsen–  The Link between our two teams…he played on “Ironman” Uhing’s championship team and is Noble’s student teacher.  Will he be able to guard his old coach and make his new coach proud??  The pressure could be too much for “Mad Dog.”

Amy “Co-Yo-Tito” Cariotto

Coaches:
Demarius Lott, Garrett Chelton and Sayvon Miller

View Comments (3)