LHS theater takes districts by storm

Theatre director Justin Holbein speaks to the cast and crew of the Play Production One-Act Team after their first place victory at districts. Photo by Carson Allen

Sara Balter -|LHS News|-

Cleantre (LaGrange) – Jackson Mikkelsen (11) and Mariane (Du Brie) – Carmen Blum (11) share a romantic moment during the LHS One Act production of “Skinflints & Scoundrels: Moliere’s The Miser.” The play production team won districts with their performance. Photo by Brianna Koch

Anticipation filled the theatre as students waited, breathlessly, arms linked, listening.

Who would be the winner?

The answer: Lincoln High.

On December 2, 2017, the Lincoln High Theatre Play Production Team placed first at the One-Act district competition, earning a spot at the state competition. However, LHS thespians didn’t stop there. They also won a technical achievement award and numerous best acting awards.

Cast and Crew of “Skinflints and Scoundrel: Moliere’s the Miser” celebrate their first place win. Photo by Carson Allen

The show they presented, “Skinflints & Scoundrels: Moliere’s the Miser,” is set in a 1920s jazz bar. The plot centers around an actor who doesn’t agree with being denied payment and his attempts to get the audience, within the play, to recognize that the arts deserve acknowledgment. Eventually the show ends, happily, with all actors involved receiving payment and cheers.

However the work is not over. 

Cast and crew are busy at work preparing for the state competition, that will take place this 

Friday, December 8th in, Norfolk Nebraska.

Cast and crew show off their first place trophy. Photo by Carson Allen.

“The LHS Play Production Team enjoyed success from many students this year,” theatre director Justin Holbein said. “For all of our students, the opportunity to attend and participate in state competition at the highest level is the best educational reward we can give them.”

These students received “outstanding performance” awards: Mackenzie Davenport, Isabel Kettler, Jackson Mikkelsen, Alaina Conner, Carmen Blum, Anthony Delaney, Carter Yost, Savannah Denison, Jenna Fuller, and Jennah Duncan.