Informing the Lincoln High community since 1895

The Advocate

The Advocate

The Advocate

Prom: Informal Formal

(From left to right) Joanna Hejl (12), Eva Hafermann (11), Saadi Ali (11), and other students, dance at prom on April 16th, 2016, to the Cha Cha Slide by DJ Casper. Photo by Samantha Stuefer

By Samantha Stuefer -Most students look forward to prom every year. People are running around buying dresses, tuxes, and anything else they might need for the event. Even months before it happens, the halls are buzzing with who’s taking who or what each other is wearing.
Prom is coordinated by Student Council, and they are the one’s who choose the theme.

“There is a committee of Student Council members who came up with around 10 possible prom themes,” Student Council sponsor Nicole Barnes said. “Then, Student Council as a whole voted to narrow it down to three.”

Then students were allowed to vote. The theme “Masquerade” pulled in significantly more votes than the other ideas.
Tickets were sold the Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday before prom. The tickets were $20 the first two days, and then $25 on Thursday. Students had to have all their fines paid before they could purchase a prom ticket, but could pay off their fines at the time of purchasing. If the fines were not paid, the student couldn’t go.

Prom was on April 16th at the Pla Mor Ballroom. There was something new with prom this year, though.

“What happened was we got a new administration, and so we were trying to think of incentives to get kids to attend school more often,” attendance team leader Jarrell Green said. “So myself and some of the other people on the attendance team, thought this might be a way to…go about it. Mr. Larson agreed that we could do it, then Mr. Penrod and myself came up with the guidelines.”

To be able to attend prom, students couldn’t skip 10+% of their classes, or have truancies in 35 or more periods. If it is excused absences or a parent called in, then it does not count. The students were given yellow slips in January with the attendance guidelines, and teachers spoke on the issue in their classes. Green also came in and spoke to classes on the issue as well.
This resulted in a few less people.

“Usually we have around 400,” Barnes said. “This year we had around 380. I think some of that was the tardy policy, but I think it’s really important that we hold people accountable.”

Prom was held at the Pla Mor Ballroom on West O Street, about a 10 minute drive from Denton Nebraska. Students rolled up in limos and their own cars, looking their sharpest. The event started at 8:30 p.m. and lasted until 11:30 p.m.

There was dancing and lights, but the decorations might not have been as elaborate as years past.
“We didn’t do as many decorations,” student council member and senior Taylor Headly said. “We did a lot more gossmer and lights more than props.”

The decorations did consist of many colors, but most prevelent were purple, green, and gold.
Headly said that she felt prom went super well this year and looked a lot better than the years before.
Prom royalty was conducted in your usual manner. Students voted online in one round, and then the top contestants made it to the second round. From there, royalty was selected.

Prom Prince was Ryan Ehlers and Prom Princess was Breanna Anderson. Prom King was Daniel Holba and Prom Princess was Clara Higgins.
Daniel was the first Prom King to get elected wearing a dress and heels, but that was more than fine.
The night ended with Dancing Queen by Abba.

“We are very thankful that we have students who come and have a great time and are safe,” Barnes said.