Informing the Lincoln High community since 1895

The Advocate

Breaking News

The Advocate

The Advocate

Lincoln High School celebrates 456 graduates in 155th commencement ceremony

Emotional speeches, musical performances, and community pride mark the 155th graduation of Lincoln High School’s diverse senior class.
Photo by Will West
Seniors Scarlett Coleman (left) and Conor Willeke (center) along with Adeliya Ivaniv (right back) arrive at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Saturday for 2024 Lincoln High School Commencement Ceremonies
Reading Time: 2 minutes

The 456-member senior class of Lincoln High School celebrated their graduation on Saturday, fulfilling their final requirement for Lincoln Public Schools. The ceremony, held in a crimson-red-clad arena, began with a serenade by the LHS Choir, directed by Colten McCauley. Teachers, administrators, staff, families and community members were in attendance to honor the graduates.

Principal Mark Larson welcomed the students and attendees before the choir, including four 2024 graduates, performed the National Anthem and “Bridge Over Troubled Water.” Senior Ali Waly, the Master of Ceremonies, delivered an inspiring speech, reminding his classmates, “we made it,” and thanking staff, particularly administrator Adan Martinez, for their support.

Senior Sofia Caruso highlighted Lincoln High School’s core values of Tradition, Excellence, Diversity, and Unity. She noted that the class of 2024 started their high school journey during a global pandemic. Senior Eh Ta Taw shared his story of overcoming communication barriers after arriving in the country, urging his peers to appreciate both the journey and the destination. Senior Sara Bilew, in her speech titled “Untitled,” embraced a confident, “I can do anything” mindset, quoting Natasha Bedingfield’s song, “the rest is still unwritten.”

Lincoln Public Schools Board of Education member Annie Mumgaard, also a parent of a 2024 graduate and an LHS alum, encouraged the students to contribute to the community that had invested in them. Superintendent Paul Gausman, in his second year as Superintendent at LPS, called on the graduates to persevere and achieve success.

Associate Principal Maira Mendez and French and Journalism Teacher Will West read the names of the graduates, accompanied by the LHS Orchestra under the direction of Brett Noser. Mumgaard and Gausman handed out diplomas to the students.

The ceremony concluded with the graduates leading a chant of “LHS You Know,” and the symbolic tassel movement from right to left. Then Larson offered some finals words. He urged the students to “go make the world a little more like Lincoln High,” celebrating the school’s diversity with students from over 50 native countries and regions, speaking more than 30 languages.

This graduating class joins over 50,000 Lincoln High School alumni, including notable figures such as Ted Sorensen, Dick Cavett, and Sandy Dennis, whose photos all hang in the hallway of Distinguished Alumni. The 2024 commencement marks the school’s 155th graduating class.

To watch the full commencement ceremony, visit https://www.youtube.com/live/d8aVvh8qSMA.