Informing the Lincoln High community since 1895

The Advocate

Breaking News

The Advocate

The Advocate

Lincoln High graduate awarded first Star City Pride scholarship

Jason Pabian, LHS class of 2024, earns $1000 towards his education for his dedication to LGBTQIA2S+ advocacy and will pursue computer science at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Reading Time: 2 minutes
Image courtesy of Star City Pride social media

Jason Pabian, a newly-graduated Lincoln High School alum was selected for the inaugural Star City Pride scholarship this year. Pabian, a graduate of the class of 2024 will be attending the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, studying computer science.

Pabian was chosen from 20 students who applied for the award, according to Andrew Dominguez Farias, president of Star City Pride. “Pabian was chosen based on his academic commitment, community engagement and impact, financial need, and demonstrated potential for leadership in LGBTQ communities” commented Dominguez Farias.

The scholarship, which is for $1000, is awarded to a(n) “LGBTQIA2S+ person who is pursuing their education” and “who attends a college, university, or trade school in Nebraska” and can be used for “anything education-related including tuition, housing, books, study abroad, etc.” according to the website information. The money for this came from the Star City Pride Fund, and according to Dominguez Farias, “having an inaugural scholarship being awarded to LGBTQIA2S+ Nebraska students is a dream come true.” Dominguez Farias went on to say that [they] “are excited by the opportunity to give back to the next generation of LGBTQIA2S+ leaders” and that Star City Pride looks forward to helping students be successful in their post-high-school careers.

The application process included a short essay on how “how being LGBTQ+ has impacted [their] life and also [their] own experiences and goals with the local community here in Lincoln.”

Dominguez Farias (left), Pabian (middle) and Lincoln Mayor Leirion Gaylor Baird at Das Haus on Saturday. Pabian, a newly-graduated Lincoln High School alum was awarded the inaugural Star City Pride scholarship on Saturday. (Photo by Lola Pabian)

The scholarship was officially awarded on Saturday at a well-attended ceremony at Das Haus, a central part of the Start City Pride event that happened this weekend. “It was wonderful to see the support of the community and have so many people come together despite the parade cancellation due to weather,” Pabian said when talking about the severe weather that moved through Lincoln on Friday night causing the cancellation of the pride parade.

“He truly made me feel seen and important yesterday, which I can’t thank him enough for” Pabian said when talking about his interaction with Dominguez Farias.

Star City Pride is a locally-run organization which advocates for members of the LGBTQIA2S+ community in Lincoln and hosts the annual Pride Festival. For more information about Star City Pride or the scholarship, visit starcityprideevents.org

updated 6/11/24 04:54